Q. Pruning a city tree

I have a tree in front of my property. It's one of only a few on the street and I want to make sure it is maintained. It appears to me that it needs some pruning, but I'm not sure if there are resources that will do this, or if I will have to pay to have it done. Any recommendations would be appreciated.


If you are a property owner with  a street tree, there is a street tree pruning request form on the City of Philadelphia's TreePhilly website.

Click on the "Request Street Tree Pruning" button on this page.

Property owners are also welcome to hire a certified arborist to maintain their street trees at their own expense. Contractors must obtain a tree work permit from the Philadelphia Parks & Recreation Street Tree Management office by calling (215) 685-4362 or (215) 685-4363.

To learn more about tree care, become a PHS Tree Tender.

Established in 1993, the PHS Tree Tenders program offers hands-on tree care training in the five-county Philadelphia region. The training covers tree biology, identification, planting, proper care and working within your community. PHS Tree Tenders has trained thousands of volunteers who plant and care for trees throughout the region. For more information on classes or to find a Tree Tenders group in your neighborhood, click here. You can also check out their videos, with great tree care tips here.

  • Last Updated Jan 08, 2019
  • Views 38
  • Answered By Janet Evans

FAQ Actions

Was this helpful? 0   0
Your Question
Your Info
Fields marked with * are required.