Homes of the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society in Philadelphia
Since its inception in 1827, PHS has met in many locations. What are some of the most important ones?
Since its founding in 1827 PHS met in several locations including the Chinese Museum (9th & Sansom) and the Academy of Music (240 S. Broad Street) before erecting its own Horticultural Hall in 1867.
1867 - 1881 First Horticultural Hall built near Broad and Locust Streets in Philadelphia, 1867. Building destroyed by fire, 1881
1882 - 1893 Second Horticultural Hall built on same location. Designed by Philadelphia architect Addison Hutton. Building destroyed by fire, 1893
1896 - 1917 Third Horticultural Hall built on same location. Designed by Philadelphia architect Frank Miles Day. Building sold in 1917 and demolished that year
1917 - 1963 PHS leases quarters in various Center City office buildings, including Suburban Station at 16th Street & JFK Boulevard (office space was leased by PHS in this building from 1946 to 1964).
1964 - 1996 PHS is a tenant of the Independence National Historic Park sharing quarters with the Philadelphia Society for Promoting Agriculture at 325 Walnut Street, Philadelphia
1966 Lady Bird Johnson dedicates PHS's 18th century garden which was built next to the Walnut Street headquarters
1996 PHS moves to current headquarters at 100 N. 20th Street